Thursday, August 20, 2015

What is graphic design?

Graphic design is about using words and images to create and convey a message.

I never realized how much graphic design impacted me on a daily basis until the point was brought up that it is ALL around us. Many of our own personal decisions rely on the design of certain products/spaces/messages. 

Another connection I have to graphic design is the way it influences how I feel in a space. I recently drove to a new dentist's office and it was beautifully designed inside. It looked sleek and the graphics on the walls and the logo of the place itself made me feel like I had made the right decision of moving offices. It felt more professional than a poorly designed office.

A quote I heard that really stuck with me was that graphic design is "a process of discovery". It is discovery for the artist themselves, the consumer, and the world. It shows who we are and how we see things. It projects new ideas.

The website and overall aesthetic of American Apparel is very important to
the image of the business. It looks very basic at first, but the "sleek and simple" 
look of it is what makes American Apparel unique from other businesses.



1 comment:

  1. I like your description of your dentist office, it sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete